Controls and Governance Manager
- Job reference no: VN11486
- Job type: Permanent
- Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Energise your career..
We are delighted to announce that we are on the lookout for a Controls & Governance Manager to form a key part of the Risk Management strategy at SThree as they support the Core Functions senior management team to maintain a robust and effective Control Environment by providing oversight of risk identification and control effectiveness. The team also provide SME advice on design and deployment of new or updated controls into the business processes, alongside consistent reporting for all Controls and Governance KPI's and metrics & support their stakeholders with interpretation and deployment of Internal and External Audit recommendations as appropriate for Core Functions.
Who will you be working for?
SThree is the global STEM-specialist talent partner that connects sought-after specialists in life sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics with dynamic organisations across the world. We are the number one destination for talent in the best STEM markets: these are today's unsung heroes who positively shape the future. Now we're helping them shape their own futures.
What will I be expected to do on a day-to-day basis?
- Ensure delivery of a fit for purpose Control Governance framework across Core Functions which is aligned to the Group Risk Management Framework and the UK Corporate Governance Code / BEIS (UK Sox) requirements
- Provide Senior Management across Core Functions with Reporting and Insight to ensure decision making is efficient, effective and made with a 'Risk-based mindset'
- Ensure the Control Environment across Core Functions is understood, remains robust and within risk appetite at all times
- Ensure all controls within the controls within the framework are 100% Design effective across Core Functions
- Drive a 'Risk Based Culture' through all teams and all levels across Core Functions, with a 'No Blame' approach to control deficiency, weakness or process improvement
- Process owner of the Business Control Incident process used to identify, understand and remediate any control deficiency or weakness including re-design and re-deployment of impacted Internal Controls
- Support all 'Business as Usual' and Transformation change management initiatives to ensure effective controls review and improvements are in place for all programs
- Ensure the Controls and Governance team perform high-quality, value add end to end process reviews which include recommendations and prioritisation for control enhancements to the teams across Core Functions.
- Support the Global Head of Controls and Improvement to ensure agreed Transformation and Ad-hoc Project requirements are delivered to a high standard and aligned with Risk, Controls and Governance strategy, such as:
- Redesign of Risk and Control Registers during Transformation
- Control Activity, Control Strength & Effectiveness reviews, Risk Impact assessments and End to End Process reviews
- Change management, Dual Run and BAU controls during Transformation
- Design and deployment of 4Risk v2 (Risk and Control management system upgrade)
What experience and skills should I have?
- Experience in designing, deploying and assessing effective Financial Controls, Business Process Controls and Governance Framework/s end to end across multi-functional process/s is essential
- Strong and experienced people manager
- Qualified Accountant (ACCA / CIMA / ICAEW / ICAS), Internal Auditor or a minimum of 5 years of relevant internal experience required
- Advanced Microsoft Excel & PowerPoint, Word and Visio experience necessary (VLOOKUPS, SUMIF, Pivot Tables) with an excellent standard of formatting is essential for this role
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to facilitate strong collaboration and stakeholder management across all functions and all levels of the business
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to explain complex financial matters clearly and concisely to non-financial stakeholders
- High level of attention to detail
- Must be able to demonstrate experience of successfully managing change, key stakeholder engagement, effective influencing, delivering value add initiatives and continuous improvements projects
- Ability to adapt to various situations and individuals in order to achieve objectives
- Identifying when to escalate issues to senior management for resolution / action
- Continuous improvement and risk based mind set, driving process excellence while minimising risk across Core Functions
- Passion for personal development within the team.
Are there Qualifications necessary?
- Qualified CIMA/ACCA Accountant, equivalent or QBE.
In return for your commitment, we offer a range of benefits including:
- Competitive salary and bonus
- 28 holiday allowance plus bank holidays, which can be taken at a time of your choosing.
- Annual leave purchase scheme
- Five day's paid Caregiver/Dependant leave per annum
- Five paid days off per year for volunteering `
- Competitive family care policy
- Financial, physical and mental wellbeing support
- Private healthcare (after qualifying period)
- Company share option
- Access to a range of retail discounts and savings
We are also really excited to announce our permanent move to hybrid working so we are encouraging our people to work where they feel most productive - with a blended office/home working model.
SThree are committed to ensuring equal opportunities, fairness of treatment, dignity, work-life balance and the elimination of all forms of discrimination in the workplace for all staff and job applicants.